Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Bear and His Boy by Sean Bryan

Here's another book about not getting caught up in lists and tasks to do on a day to day basis. Can ya tell that I myself am a slave to my lists?

One day a bear wakes up to find a boy on his back. I LOVE the fact that the bear is the one surprised by this, not the boy. The boy simply remarks nonchalantly "My name is Zach."

If you yourself woke up one day with a bear or a fairy or a Smurf or something equally surprising on your back, what would you do? The bear already has a full day planned and decided to just take the boy along.

The bear's day planner is hilariously like my own...I mean really...how does anyone think they will be able to accomplish eating flapjacks, collecting an award, going to a karate lesson, bird-watching, working out, returning a book to the library, cleaning house, and remembering a friends birthday all in one day? Me apparently. My days are turning into one long to-do list, much to the dismay of my husband. I need some little someone to appear on my back to remind me to smell the lilacs. Because that's just what the boy does at the end of the story.

Did I mention the restful simplicity of the pictures or the hilarious rhyme scheme? Or the great twist at the end? Here is one charmer of a picture book sure to entertain even the most discriminating reader. Till next time! - Suzanne